Thursday, October 20, 2011

DI and Spray Paint

Last week I mentioned my addiction to spray paint and up-cycling thrift store finds.  I finally got a few of my DI deals painted and dressed up for my apartment, and of course, I had to share them with you.
I picked up this little beauty the other day for $6! A few coats of red paint and some distressing ink later and tada...it's a great entryway piece.  I love going for adventurous colors of paint when I find something for this cheap.  It is fun to make a bold statement with little odds and ends.
After my dictionary print segment last month, I decided to make a wall of witches. I spray painted 2nd hand frames ($1.00 each) and had Costco print me some vintage art.  I love how it turned out.  Such a fun little vignette.

Although it is difficult for a quick and simple crafter like me, I have found patience to be a major virtue when working with repainting.  I thought I would share a few tips for an excellent paint job:
1. Pre sand and clean your surface.  Use a fine sandpaper to remove any shiny finishes and create a rough surface for paint to adhere to. Wipe surfaces clean before painting.
2. Apply multiple coats and allow plenty of drying time between applications.
3. Sand off edges and use stain or distress ink to create a vintage look.
4. Finish your project off with a sealer coat. Sealers can be purchased in spray paint form and add a nice finishing touch to a piece. They also prevent the paint from chipping and scratching.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment